Webinars on Demand
Watch recordings of past webinars at your convenience
The Current Economy and Its Impact on Nonprofits
- What changes have been happening in the economy that are affecting nonprofit organizations?
- What potential impact this might have on donors.
- How nonprofits can respond to the current environment.
- Some practical steps nonprofits can make to be better positioned.
- What financially healthy nonprofits might look like.
- What are the implications of rising interest rates?
- Indicators of a struggling ministry and how to mitigate this.
SALARY AND OVERTIME RULES FOR CHURCHES AND MINISTRIES
- Salary exemptions—FLSA and Washington Minimum Wage Act
- Overtime for ministers and staff
- Stipends for staff and ministers
- The difference between an “exempt” employee and a “nonexempt” employee
- How to compute salary thresholds for determining exempt employees
- When ministers are exempt from overtime
- How nonexempt employees are compensated during travel time, camps and retreats
- Salary rules for part-time employees
Charitable Contribution Receipting
- What is required when receipting donors for various contributions?
- When are designated contributions not deductible?
- How are IRA contributions reported differently?
- How are out-of-pocket expenses for unreimbursed travel receipted?
- Are designated donations deductible as charitable contributions?
- Cryptocurrency special reporting rules.
Auditing Your Own Ministry
- What red flags might indicate financial problems?
- What elements should we include in financial reports?
- What are senior leaders’ responsibilities and liabilities?
- How can we implement and monitor cash receipts and disbursement controls?
- How can we monitor the accuracy of financial reports?
- What qualifications should we look for in those performing the self-audit?
Benevolence and Outreach – Learn How to Give With Compassion While Being Compliant
- What is benevolence and outreach as defined by the IRS
- Distinguishing between benevolence and outreach
- The requirements for charitable organization and individual donors
- Five common benevolence fund mistakes
- Benevolence and outreach best practices
- Tax reporting for recipients
Sending Funds to Foreign Causes & Compensating Foreigners
- What charities should know when sending money overseas to:
- A USA 501(c)(3) organization doing missions or relief work
- A foreign organization
- An individual who is a nonresident alien
- A missionary who is a US citizen
- A nonresident alien who comes to the USA to do the work
Update for 2021 Employer Reporting to IRS and WA State
Sick and Emergency Leave
Earned Income Credit
Employee Retention Credit
WA State Long Term Care Act
Paid Family Medical Leave
Housing Allowance Tax Benefit for Ministers
- Who is eligible?
- Who can designate a minister housing allowance?
- When to set parsonage and housing allowances.
- How to set parsonage and housing allowances.
- Which housing expenses qualify?
- Tax implications of housing allowance.
Budgeting and Managing Cash Reserves
- Learn to move from a static budget to a dynamic one that includes cash flow projections and planning.
- Discover “missional” budgeting – a way to measure if your organization is accomplishing its mission.
- Learn how to manage financial resources to meet your obligations and accomplish your mission.
- Examine the four areas of liquidity and how they can work together for optimum financial health.
Renting Property – WA State B&O and IRS Tax Issues for Nonprofits
- When does rental income becomes taxable?
- Rental income reporting requirements.
- What Washington State and IRS rental income tax exemptions can be obtained for nonprofit organizations?
- Rules for rental of parking spaces and cell towers.
Renting Property (Part 2) – WA State B&O and IRS Tax Issues for Nonprofits
Discussion of rental of houses, commercial space, rooms in facility, parking spaces, and cell towers.
·Easy to use “yes/no” decision trees for determining:
When rental income becomes taxable
When rental income tax exemptions are available for nonprofit organizations for Washington State and the IRS
WA State Exempt Property Tax Issues
- How your organization can qualify for and maintain a property tax exemption.
- Which types of activities are allowed under a property tax exemption?
- Recent changes to Washington limitations and requirements.
- We’ll also discuss several examples of whether a property tax exemption can be maintained.
Download Our Free Guide
How to Maximize the Tax Benefits of Working from Home
6 Critical Questions Asked by Employees and Employers
There are tax benefits available to those who are working from home that you do not want to miss. This free resource will help you make the most of them.
Tax and accounting regulations are complex and changing faster than ever, and the confusion is distracting. At Battershell & Nichols, we come alongside you as a trusted advisor to provide clarity and solutions so you can focus on what matters most. Read More
Schedule Your Free Consultation
Take your first step towards clarity. You’ll get a chance to get to know us, and we’ll make sure we understand your questions and goals.